This tutorial has been provided by Sarah Plant from Tilly Mint Boutique who has several tutorials on her site: http://tillymintboutique.wordpress.com.
Lunch bag tutorial
This bag is ideal for kid's pack lunches, or taking snacks into the office. If you use heat resistant wadding it will help to keep the content of the bags cool, and use waterproof fabric to make the bag easy to clean.
You will need:
Scissors/rotary cutter and mat
Cotton fabric (pre washed)
Waterproof fabric (I used 100% nylon sold at Abakhan. Don’t be tempted to use oil cloth type fabrics as they’re not food safe)
Velcro 5″ long
Heat resistant wadding
I have used a 1/2″ seam allowance throughout.
1. Cut 2 pieces of fabric, lining and wadding all 7.5 x 7.5″
2. Put the 2 pieces of outer fabric right sides together and put the wadding on the outside, sandwiching the fabric. Ensure the ‘silvery’ side of the wadding faces outwards. Pin in place.
Sew around three sides. Trim corners and turn right side out.
3. Pin together the 2 pieces of lining fabric and sew down the long sides.
4. Place lining fabric over outer fabric, right sides facing, aligning the side seams.
Sew around the top edge, attaching lining to outer.
5. Push lining into outer and stitch around the top
6. Pull the lining out of the outer and pin the Velcro approx 1/4″ from top seam. Sew close to edge of velcro. I ended up using a zipper foot and changed the position of the needle to make this bit easier.
7. Fold in 1/4″ on bottom of lining to make a nice neat edge, sew close to edge.
8. Push lining into outer and press.
The completed snack pack will be fine to wash on a 30 degree wash. I think these are great to use no matter what age you are. Plus having one of these is better for the environment as less plastic bags are used.